2009/08/26

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

I was actually pretty sure if there is anything I can understand in Arabic, it must be the Arabic numerals.

But I was surprised. Really surprised to see an alternate number system when I arrived. They invented numbers as we know them for god's sake! It boils down to my ignorance, and also the common use of the word "Arabic" when talking about European numbering. (aka 1,2,3,...) Here's the the wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

Anyway, one cannot stop learning can one? But why not use the numerals that most of the world use? Why bother to have 2 kinds of numerals on phone pads and license plates?

Anyway, at least now I can read the numbers they use.

*ahem* (clears throat)

One is still 1, Two is a mirrored 7, Three is like the 2 with 2 aches on the top instead of a horizontal line. Four is a mirrored 3. Five is BIG O. Six is a 7, Seven is a V, Eight is an inverted V, Nine still looks like 9, and Zero is a single dot.

TADA! My little step into the water, and the ocean beckons....





No comments: