2009/09/02

Rydges Plaza, Satwa Roundabout, Dubai

"Make sure you tell me where to turn off beforehand!"

I was clearly stressed. Everyone knows a missed turn in this place will cost half a gallon of petrol and an extra half hour depending on the make of your car and style of driving.

To which the comforting reply was," I've never been there before, I don't know!"

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Ok, stay calm.

Sheikh Zayed Road is a long one. W and I were soon lost in conversation about how we missed Shenzhen's Sichuan hotpot. Shall we go for one in Dubai? No, not nice enough and expensive. Oh cannot wait to get back to Shenzhen. How I dreamed about Hua Shen Long at Bagua 3 Road.... Maybe when I am in HK next time I'll make my mates go to Shenzhen with me. Good idea...

"Hey what is that?" I asked as I zoomed past a turnoff. The sign above showed a black circle within a white circle.

"That is the roundabout!"

Darn....

OK, now we need to find a way to turn back.

I turned out at the first turnoff I could find, and got to an open field with a hospital nearby. 5 mins driving around I found myself back at Sheikh Zayed Road again, but not in the opposite direction. Ok, nice try. We drove on for some time, and to our delight, saw a sign that says "Abu Dhabi". I nearly missed this one, but I managed to change 3 lanes in 2 seconds.

OK, now we need to find the roundabout again. Don't miss it this time, I told myself.

We saw the sign that pointed to the roundabout. OK, signal, change lanes, turn off. Good.

"DON"T GO UP THE BRIDGE!" shouted W.

Too late. The road had divided up into 2 very abruptly, one going down to the roundabout, and the other to god knows where.

#$%^&#@!!!

What are we going to do? We are lost! Where are we? Why did we never buy a MAP??!!

"Hey, isn't that Rydges Hotel?" said W pointing to his right.

We shook our heads in disbelief.

"You're on time!" beamed D as we entered his hotel room.

Yes D, we were surprised too.

No comments: