2009/09/01

Of Kids

With the noted exception of hotel pubs, families with kids can be seen everywhere in the UAE. The kids are always laughing and running around in malls, supermarkets, and restaurants. So full of the childhood energy that seems distant... and I rather suspect this is not only because a good 20 years have passed since I last chased my cousin across the coffee lounge at mum's workplace.

So I'm sitting in restaurant here looking at kids running around, and having a feeling I have not seen this in a long time. Why is that? Ah, I was in HK the last 4 years of my life, and HK kids don't run around at top speeds in restaurants.

First of all, you are in mortal danger if you do. The waiters barely have enough space to maneuver trying to serve up the boiling hot double boiled turtle soup. Secondly, portable game consoles seem to be standard issue. A clustering of kids generally involve a physical gathering around some lucky bastard with the latest PSP game, or a bluetooth duel to each her/his own console. So whilst the adults spin the web of HK gossip intrigue across the table, the kids fight it out in virtual reality as mum puts a Har Gow on junior's plate telling him to eat it before it gets cold.

No PSPs in sight here. Maybe that is a reason why kids here don't wear glasses. Think I appreciate the good old fashioned watch- out-if-I-catch-you-because-you-caught-me-last-time-so-I-am -getting-even play style. I make a mental note to keep my PSP for myself when I have kids in the future, and continue eating. W's finished his second plate and he makes off to the buffet table as 3 boys dash past him. I think they are playing catch.

No comments: