2010/01/14

New insight into this thing called an Abu Dhabi Address

Finally! My own internet in the comfort of my own home... no need to steal Wifi through windows anymore!


The guys came to rig it today, and to my mild surprise, there is an address section in the documentation.


"You guys actually have my address?" I asked to have a look at the form.


"No, no, this is plot number, only Etistalad use" replied the technician.


"And electricity, and water" quipped the other technician.


So apparently this is how it works. Mail still needs to go to a P.O. box, but in order to locate a building for billing/installation/repairs/etc, utility companies (internet included) use 2 things to figure out where you are: The sector, and the plot number.


E.g. Sector E11, Plot Number P44


And in the case of villas, the plot number is usually also the building number. So never mind what your landlord decides as his villa number, what really matters is the plot number :)

No comments: