2009/12/13

Moonlight in Abu Dhabi

No, not some romantic moonlight dinner with W in the desert.



What happened is that I forced W to watch New Moon with me. Kinda my way of getting back at him for watching 2012 without me.



I must admit, I’d been drawn into the media hype over Twilight and had forgotten how the first installment nearly bored me to death in the cinema. I realize I am no fan of the teenage romance genre, with or without the vampire.



I much prefer blood and gore and plentiful special effects when I see a film with vampires and werewolves in them. Instead, the story here is about a girl suffering from depression, a boy growing into werewolf puberty, and a suicidal 130 year old vampire. Just in case the audience gets too bored, Victoria comes back to rustle things a bit, and the teenage werewolf gets to maul a vampire, which we the audience did not get to see.



However, if Twilight is like Underworld, it would have captured a lot less of the female audience, and the male audience - a sizable proportion of which were forced to watch it with their female partners. J



Nonetheless, the seat shifting, watch watching, back aching event in the cinema is mitigated by the experience of watching this teenage vampire flick in the midst of teenage Emirati girls.



I wonder if audience reaction to the topless male leads in the show is similar all over the world, but Taylors’new bod is very well received here. Every time he steps out with his 6 pack, screams are heard all over the cinema. Every time 2 characters kiss, screams are heard all over the cinema. The scene where Mr. Vampire Right decides to go topless as well, screams are heard all over the cinema. The 2 Emirati guys seated behind me shouted something in Arabic when the girls started screaming the nth time. I think it would be in the order of “Keep quiet!”



Rapturous applause and cheers emanated from the girls when Bella slaps one of the werewolf guys, and the 2 guys behind shouted something in Arabic again.



Should I be reading anything into this?

No comments: